Friday, April 29, 2011

Soliloquy Analysis - Macbeth act 3 scene 1

To be thus is nothing;
But to be safely thus.

To be king is nothing unless i am safe.


Our fears in Banquo
Stick deep;
Our fear of Banquo is intense / painful.


and in his royalty of nature
Reigns that which would be fear'd:
He has king-like qualitys which in itself is reason to be fearful.


 'tis much he dares;
And, to that dauntless temper of his mind,

He possess a fearless qaulity / he is daring.


He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour
To act in safety.

He has wisdom that admonishes his foritude to act safley.


There is none but he
Whose being I do fear:

There is no one else I fear more.


and, under him,
My Genius is rebuk'd; as, it is said,Mark Antony's was by Caesar.

And beneath him my guardian spirit is checked. ( i.e. Banquo has a stronger spirit than Macbeth, whoms guilt has a diminishing impact)


He chid the sisters
When first they put the name of king upon me,
And bade them speak to him:

He reproached the sisters (witches) when  they first said i would be king and demanded them to speak to him.


then prophet-like
They hail'd him father to a line of kings:

Then as if it where a prophecy - they had said that Banquo would be the father to line of kings. ( i.e. His sons would become kings) 


upon my head they placed a fruitless crown,
And put a barren sceptre in my gripe,

Upon my head they plac'd a
Thence to be wrench'd with an unlineal hand,
No son of mine succeeding.

Macbeth has no sons / decendents of his own to be take the throne and succeed.


If 't be so,
For Banquo's issue have I fil'd my mind;

If the witches are right, the issue of Banquo is all I can  think about.


For them the gracious Duncan have I murder'd;
Macbeth has killed Duncan for the benifit of Banquo's sons.


Put rancours in the vessel of my peace Only for them;
Put bitterness in the vessel of my reconciliation for Banquo's sons.


and mine eternal jewel
Given to the common enemy of man,
To make them kings, the seeds of Banquo kings!

And my immortal soul shall be givin to the devil again for the benifit of Banquo's sons.


Rather than so, come fate into the list.
And champion me to the utterance!

Rathen than this outcome, bring fate in the tournament and challenge me to the fight to the death for the throne!




Banquo is riding with fleance before the banquet. Macbeth is left alone and concurs that Banquo worries him. Macbeth is also worried that, if the witches' prophecies have come true, then he has killed Duncan for the benifit of  Banquo's sons / descendants and this causes him great unease because if this were to be true then it could result in macbeths death or the loss of the throne.  
      Macbeths distrust in Banquo causes him to confront  two murderers, convincing them that there misfortunes are at the fault of Banquo. This solilquy shows the change in character of macbeth - due to the fact that he is not ruled by remorse or guilt now, but by anger and panic. Thus causing him to act in depesperation at killing his best friend.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment