Monday, April 11, 2011

Soliloquy Analysis - Macbeth act 1 scene 5

Lady Macbeth's Soliloquy
Act 1 Scene 5

The raven himself is hoarse
That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan
Under my battlements.
A bird of ill-omen (bird imagery) signals Duncans death due to lady Macbeth, whom holds herself fully responsible.

 
Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts,
Come forth evil spirits that serve murderous thoughts.

unsex me here,
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
Of direst cruelty!
Take away my femininity and fill me from head to toe, in most bitter cruelty.

make thick my blood;
Stop up the access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
The effect and it!
Thicken my blood to prevent pity and remorse to flow through my veins to make sure that no feelings of humanity upset my intentions nor stop me from carrying them out.

Come to my woman's breasts,
And take my milk for gall, you murdering ministers,
Come to my breast and replace my milk with bitterness.

Wherever in your sightless substances
You wait on nature's mischief!
Where ever in in your invisible state, you look after humanitys evil deeds.
Come, thick night,
And pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell,
Come darkness,and cover yourself in the darkest smoke of hell.

That my keen knife see not the wound it makes,
That I do not wish to commit the murder myself.

Nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark,
To cry 'Hold, hold!
That heaven does not see throuh the darkness and witness such an act and cry 'Stop, Stop!'

Lady macbeth discovers that Duncan is on his way to the castle. In Turn she calls on evil spirits to make her dispassionite so that she can carry out Duncans murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment